Clipboard contents is processed according to the following rules:
- Perform external, user-defined preparsing on input stream. See Configuring Clipboard.
- Perform user-defined substitutions on input stream. See Configuring Clipboard.
- Check if input stream is already a BibTeX entry. If so, process entry.
- Check if input stream is, in this order of preference, a PubMed XML, arXiv XML, CR JSON, or Medline entry. If so, process entry.
- Preprocess author names: PI JOAN III -> Pi III, J. (care of name prefixes, suffixes, and removal of ambiguities).
- Extract DOI
(DOI, URL and FILE/PDF are preprocessed, performed before the automatic recognition takes place.)
- Extract URL
- Remove leading and trailing white spaces, TABs and CRs.
- “\r\n”, “\n” and/or “\r” replaced by the line indicator tag
- Replace “\t” and ten or more consecutive “\s” by the tabular tag
- Simplify white spaces
- Start the automatic recognition engine.
If the automatic recognition engine fails, optionally, a heuristic guessing will be performed.